Today we unveil a series called "Through Owl Eyes" where we will look back at each of Prince George's athletic teams' season from 2016-17. After we reveal all of the recaps, fans will have the opportunity to vote for the Top Moment for Prince George's Athletics for 2016-17.
Through Owl Eyes Schedule
Through Owl Eyes: Men's Soccer - Wednesday, July 19
Through Owl Eyes: Women's Basketball - Thursday, July 20
Through Owl Eyes: Men's Basketball - Tuesday, July 25
Through Owl Eyes: Track And Field - Wednesday, July 26
Through Owl Eyes: Baseball - Thursday, July 27
Round of 16 - Tuesday, August 1-Wednesday, August 2
Topflight 8 - Thursday, August 3-Friday, August 4
The Owl Four - Monday, August 7-Tuesday, August 8
Battle For Top Perch - Wednesday, August 9-Friday, August 11
Men's Soccer Five Tallies
- Prince George's opened the season with a 1-0 win against eighth-ranked Bergen on August 27. Alton West posted the game-winning goal off a feed from Fabian Castillo.
- The Owls recorded a three-game winning streak and also won back-back games. The squad then won four straight to end the regular season and two games in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division III Region XX Tournament for a six-match winning streak.
- Behind two goals and an assist from West, Prince George's defeated Anne Arundel 4-1 in the NJCAA Division III Region XX Semifinals on Oct. 28. West then scored the decisive tally in a 1-0 victory against Montgomery on Oct. 30 to claim the Region XX title and a spot in the national tournament.
- The Owls finished fifth at the NJCAA Division III Championship. After falling 2-0 to Camden County on November 10, the Largo program defeated Bristol 4-1 on November 11 fueled by two goals apiece from West and Edwin Claros.
- The squad won its sixth NJCAA Region XX Championship and first since 2009. Head coach Machel Millwood won the region crown for the second time for Prince George's after leading the squad to the 2009 title as a player.
Men's Soccer By The Stats
- Prince George's had 15 players record a point including 12 players that found the back of the net once.
- Claros paced the team with 17 goals and nine assists for 43 points while West posted 12 goals and seven assists for 31 points.
- In the squad's three-game winning streak, the Owls outscored the opponent 17-3. When the squad won back-to-back games Prince George's outscored the opponent 11-0, and during the six-game winning streak the Largo program outscored the opponent 22-4.
- Prince George's scored five goals or more seven times on the year.
- Claros posted five multi-goal performances including two hat tricks, and Alton recorded four two-goal matches.
Men's Soccer Top Moments
- Prince George's defeats eighth-ranked Bergen to open the season
- The Owls defeat Montgomery to win the NJCAA Division Region XX crown
- Claros named NJCAA Second-Team All-American